The Marion County Health Department Environmental Health Division correlates inspections
with the facility’s tattoo appointments in order to verify procedures are being followed properly.
The Body Art Code is to provide a safe blood supply to Marion County citizens.
Illegal body artists’ information can be turned in to Illinois Department of Public Health or
Marion County Health Department.
The word tattoo
comes from the
means "to mark,"
and was first
from his 1769
expedition to the
Tattoos were also
found on Egyptian
date back to about
What is tattooing?
Tattooing is a process by which a
pigment, usually ink, is permanently
implanted under the skin by piercing
the epidermis and depositing the ink
into the dermis. Effectively, this
means that the middle layer of skin
contains ink which is protected by
the upper layer (when fully healed).
What is body piercing?
Body piercing, a form of body
modification, is the practice of
puncturing or cutting a part of the
human body, creating an opening
in which jewellery may be worn.
The word piercing can refer to the
act or practice of body piercing, or
to an opening in the body created by
this act or practice. While the history of body piercing is obscured by a lack of scholarly
reference and popular misinformation, ample evidence exists to document that it has been
practiced in various forms by both sexes since ancient times throughout the world.
- Piercing under the age of 18 can only be done with a parental/guardian signed
- Any 18 year old or older tattooing anyone under the age of 18 is guilty of a Class
A misdemeanor. No consent can be allowed.
- Tongue splitting is illegal to be performed in Illinois unless done by a licensed
medical professional licensed to practice medicine in all it’s branches in the State
A few things the Marion County Health Department inspects consist of the following:
- A copy of 77 Ill. Adm. Coded 797 maintained on site
- Posted Registration Certificate
- Hygiene of artist to insure no broken skin, rashes or infections
- Previous records for client’s eligible age
- Proper waste receptacles
- Employee/Body Artist information
- Business Information
- Emergency Procedures
|Interested in opening a Body Art Shop?