The Marion County Health Department Environmental Health Division correlates inspections with the facility’s tattoo appointments in order to verify procedures are being followed properly. The Body Art Code is to provide a safe blood supply to Marion County citizens. View Body Art Code 797
Illegal body artists’ information can be turned in to Illinois Department of Public Health or Marion County Health Department.
- Piercing under the age of 18 can only be done with a parental/guardian signed consent form.
- Any 18 year old or older tattooing anyone under the age of 18 is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor. No consent can be allowed.
- Tongue splitting is illegal to be performed in Illinois unless done by a licensed medical professional licensed to practice medicine in all it’s branches in the State of Illinois.
A few things the Marion County Health Department inspects consist of the following:
- A copy of 77 Ill. Adm. Coded 797 maintained on site
- Posted Registration Certificate
- Hygiene of artist to insure no broken skin, rashes or infections
- Previous records for client’s eligible age
- Proper waste receptacles
- Employee/Body Artist information
- Business Information
- Emergency Procedures
What is Tattooing?
Tattooing is a process by which a pigment, usually ink, is permanently implanted under the skin by piercing the epidermis and depositing the ink into the dermis. Effectively, this means that the middle layer of skin contains ink which is protected by the upper layer (when fully healed).
What is body piercing?
Body piercing, a form of body modification, is the practice of puncturing or cutting a part of the human body, creating an opening in which jewellery may be worn. The word piercing can refer to the act or practice of body piercing, or to an opening in the body created by this act or practice. While the history of body piercing is obscured by a lack of scholarly reference and popular misinformation, ample evidence exists to document that it has been practiced in various forms by both sexes since ancient times throughout the world.